[Info-vax] Decuserve.org - Anyone know why it's down?

Scott Dorsey kludge at panix.com
Thu Jan 1 11:50:10 EST 2015

Simon Clubley  <clubley at remove_me.eisner.decus.org-Earth.UFP> wrote:

>VSI are building a brand new computer room to support their operations
>and Eisner is going to live in this new computer room.

This is a good thing and they should be lauded for this.

>However, it's become clear over the last few months that this construction
>work is _far_ more involved than previously thought and Eisner was
>transferred to VSI before the extent of this work became clear.

Sometimes these things happen.  Easy jobs turn out to be difficult ones,
and development projects bog down.

However... an Alpha server is not like an 11/782, it's not all that
difficult to host in existing office space on an existing network
connection while waiting for the computer facility to be finished.

>> So in your view it's EISNER (back exactly as it was) or nothing? Is
>> that the general view of 'the community'?
>
>It would be more accurate to say that I consider Eisner to be the
>environment which is represented by the sum of what's on the system and
>data disks, including the operating system, current configuration and
>the private/shared data. I would have no problem with that _full_
>environment running on other physical hardware or even virtual hardware.
>
>IMHO, it's what's on the disks that defines Eisner, not the hardware
>currently hosting that content.

Presumably there are full backups of Eisner which could be restored on
some other Alpha somewhere else, if someone else is willing to do the
hosting.  There are backups, right?  They do make regular backups?
--scott