[Info-vax] Kittson question

Simon Clubley clubley at remove_me.eisner.decus.org-Earth.UFP
Thu Jan 1 11:57:58 EST 2015

On 2015-01-01, David Froble <davef at tsoft-inc.com> wrote:
> Simon Clubley wrote:
>
>> to a modern box running a dedicated RTOS.
>
> You been taking some lessons from JF?

Please don't insult me like that David. :-(

In this case "a modern box" can (and usually does) mean an embedded
board/box which probably isn't a x86 box.

> I do believe that VMS can run on as modern a box as anything else.

VMS runs on IA64, Alpha and VAX (and shortly (hopefully) x86).

The embedded world is a _lot_ bigger than that with modern architectures
and boards tailored towards the embedded world that VMS simply won't
run on.

The x86 is actually a poor fit for the actual hardware interface part
of the solution and "a modern box" for that part of the solution may
very well be a small dedicated box running a RTOS without any UI other
than a couple of status LEDs and connected to a control station via a
(hopefully private) control network.

> "dedicated RTOS" I'll accept.

If you are thinking that one physical processor runs both the control
UI and the hardware interface to the widget in question these days,
then you need to think differently. That's still true in a number of
cases, but it's certainly not true in all cases these days.

Simon.

--
Simon Clubley, clubley at remove_me.eisner.decus.org-Earth.UFP