[Info-vax] Decuserve.org - Anyone know why it's down?

Stephen Hoffman seaohveh at hoffmanlabs.invalid
Thu Jan 1 13:01:53 EST 2015

On 2015-01-01 15:38:51 +0000, Craig A. Berry said:

> On 1/1/15 8:46 AM, "VAXman- "@SendSpamHere.ORG wrote:
>
>> Presently, Deathrow is inaccessible (it never was a bastion of stability to
>> begin with) and OpenVMS.org appears to be down for the foreseeable future.
>> So, three of the most prominent VMS sites have disappeared from the internet
>> which, at a time when VMS has been given a chance to reawaken from its coma,
>> is not a good omen.
>
> And don't forget hoffmanlabs.com bouncing on and off the internet due to
> ISP problems. It seems that getting a reliable internet connection in
> certain parts of the eastern US is quite difficult.

Remote access into the Jack (rx2600) console is presently unavailable.
 I've Gein (DS10L) working again.  But Jack is where the user bits are
located.   Gein isn't useful without Jack around.   (q.v. insufficient
shared hardware.)  Having spent a chunk of time sorting that, somebody
with physical access to the servers is going to have to take a look at
the boxes and the wiring.  When that look will happen, I can't predict.

While working on Gein, the most recent thing that makes you go "huh?" with VMS:

LANCP> set dev/ful/speed=100 ewa0:
%LANCP-E-EXBYTLM, Exceeded byte count quota (BYTLM)
LANCP>

Locally, HL ISP access is currently working and the HoffmanLabs server
is online, though that may obviously change.  Acquiring a second link
is underway, though that'll involve the same ISP that's having some
difficulty resolving the connectivity or IP routing errors arising with
the primary link.   (That same ISP is presently also mired in a labor
strike, which has substantially extended their service installation
predictions, and which is likely also effecting the ability to resolve
the connectivity errors with the primary link.)

It's more than just the eastern US that has problems with affordable
broadband access.   This issue arises in many parts of the US.
Outside of the population centers, US broadband tends to be slow, and
comparatively expensive.   When broadband is even available.

As for Eisner, Bolton is now the home of VMS.  Eisner really belongs
there.  Now hopefully VSI will improve their external communications,
and can hopefully also get Eisner connected expeditiously, but they're
undoubtedly busy...