[Info-vax] directories other than SYS* on the system disk

Bart Zorn bart.zorn at gmail.com
Fri Jan 2 03:04:04 EST 2015

On Thursday, January 1, 2015 7:55:55 PM UTC+1, Phillip Helbig (undress to reply) wrote:
> Apart from SYS* and of course 000000, there are also various TCPIP$*
> directories on the system disk, as well as DOC$TOOLS.
>
> I would like to have them somewhere else.
>
> The TCPIP$* directories seem to correspond to the the corresponding
> (duh!) TCPIP$* usernames in SYSUAF.
>
> Can I just copy the stuff over to another disk, redefine the default
> device in SYSUAF and be done with it?  Or do I need to restart TCPIP?
>
> What about DOC$TOOLS?  I've never consciously used this.  It appears to
> be static so it could stay there if necessary, but I would like to move
> the TCPIP$* stuff to a non-system disk, because it is not static.  The
> aim, of course, is to make semi-automatic copying of the system disk
> from one node to another (after a big upgrade, for example) work without
> problems and without losing any data.  (Otherwise, everything seems to
> be OK; moving the documented files from SYS$COMMON off the system disk
> takes care of almost everything.)

I have tried to do that, but I would say, forget it. There is no consistency in TCPIP Services with respect to adherence to logical names and file locations are probably hard coded in many places. There is a logical name TCPIP$COMMON but I have not been able to make sensible use of it.

I don't know what DOC$TOOLS is.

Bart