[Info-vax] "proper" ownership for high-level system files

Phillip Helbig undress to reply helbig at asclothestro.multivax.de
Fri Jan 2 06:57:25 EST 2015

In article <m84pji$mlk$5 at dont-email.me>, David Froble
<davef at tsoft-inc.com> writes:

> >> The VMS$COMMON.DIR is an alias directory entry for all of the
> >> [SYS*]SYSCOMMON.DIR directory entries present; that's all the same
> >> directory, and the same files.
> >
> > Right, but actually it's reversed: all of the [SYS*]SYSCOMMON.DIR are
> > aliases for VMS$COMMON.DIR.
>
> Yeah, I wondered about that.  It was my impression that VMS$COMMOM was
> the primary directory, and others aliases.  Don't know where I got that
> idea, it's been a long time.  I could easily be wrong.

I'm pretty sure that I'm right here and not Hoff.  :-)  Of course, he
knows much more about VMS than I ever will; I think it was just
expressed a bit confusingly.

Of course, one cannot have several real SYSCOMMON.DIR and have
VMS$COMMON be an alias for all of them.  :-)

If you have a somewhat newer version of VMS, you can use F$FID (which is
an abbreviation for something longer, but lexical-function names can be
abbreviated) to get the name of a file with a given file-ID (which you
can get via F$FILE (again an abbreviation) from the name).  If you get
back the name you started with, then you have the primary entry.

I was cleaning up some disks by removing old system roots by hand.  One
can DELETE SYSCOMMON.DIR; and the alias goes away.  (As Hein explained
here a few months ago, DELETE internally does SET FILE/REMOVE if the
name is an alias.)  Of course, the files in [VMS$COMMON] are still
there, and in the other [SYS*.SYSCOMMON].