[Info-vax] directories other than SYS* on the system disk

Phillip Helbig undress to reply helbig at asclothestro.multivax.de
Fri Jan 2 07:02:57 EST 2015

In article <eccf4d0e-b92b-4a9b-8c63-893a6c13cbd3 at googlegroups.com>, Bart
Zorn <bart.zorn at gmail.com> writes:

> I have tried to do that, but I would say, forget it. There is no
> consistency in TCPIP Services with respect to adherence to logical names
> and file locations are probably hard coded in many places. There is a
> logical name TCPIP$COMMON but I have not been able to make sensible use
> of it.

I agree that TCPIP on VMS is a bit of a mess.  I don't know about
TCPIP$COMMON.  There is TCPIP$SMTP_COMMON.  The default is
SYS$SPECIFIC:[TCPIP$SMTP].  Usually, one will want the same TCPIP
configuration on all nodes booting from the disk, or even from all nodes
in the cluster.  I have redefined it as a search list, the first
translation being SYS$SPECIFIC:[TCPIP$SMTP] and the second being on a
non-system disk (where SYSUAF etc are as well).  This seems to work.

> I don't know what DOC$TOOLS is.

Apparently it is for DEC DOCUMENT.  Apart from an occasional
CONVERT/DOCUMENT, I don't think I have ever used it.  I'm more confident
that defining DOC$ROOT to point to somewhere else would be OK here.
With the TCPIP stuff, it is apparently the default device in the UAF for
the corresponding username.