[Info-vax] directories other than SYS* on the system disk

Phillip Helbig undress to reply helbig at asclothestro.multivax.de
Fri Jan 2 07:07:25 EST 2015

In article <a10c3552-c233-4573-abc4-bf75f4bf7297 at googlegroups.com>,
Volker Halle <volker_halle at hotmail.com> writes:

> DOC$TOOLS seems to be created by DECdocument.

Right.

> Trying to move the TCPIP$* directories will also most likely cause
> future TCPIP updates to fail.

Yes.  I don't plan to do it yet.  :-)  Of course, with upgrades rare
these days, one could do the upgrade, move the files, then move them
back for the next upgrade.

With other usernames, the default directory is not on the system disk.
It seems rather strange to have the TCPIP usernames have their default
directory on the system disk.  OK, it is always there and thus makes
sense as a default for the default, but I don't see any reason for it.

SMTP at least has SYS$SPECIFIC:[TCPIP$SMTP] while the other stuff is in
SYS$SYSDEVICE:[000000].  If everything were in SYS$SPECIFIC, then it
would be easier to clone a system disk, having each clone boot from its
own root.