[Info-vax] Deathrow (was: Re: Decuserve.org - Anyone know why it's down?)

Stephen Hoffman seaohveh at hoffmanlabs.invalid
Fri Jan 2 08:33:33 EST 2015

On 2015-01-01 21:46:51 +0000,   VAXman-  @SendSpamHere.ORG said:

> In article <m8499t$1ei$1 at dont-email.me>, Stephen Hoffman
> <seaohveh at hoffmanlabs.invalid> writes:
>> On 2015-01-01 18:34:46 +0000,   VAXman-  @SendSpamHere.ORG said:
>>
>>> IMO, the NOTES conferences need to be moved to JACK so they can remain
>>> accessible because GEIN's availability has been less than noteworthy.
>>
>> They're located on Jack, AFAIK.  (Without being able to confirm due to
>> the outage, that's where the files are intended to be located.)
>
> I thought that I looked when GEIN was unavailable and NOTES complained
> about it not being there.  I will, like you, have to confirm this when
> it's accessible.

The firewall and/or the local network routing and/or ISP routing into
Deathrow is stuffed up[1], and the local cluster SMTP configuration is
particularly and gloriously and entirely-unrelatedly-stuffed up[2], but
the notes conference library is located are on Jack.

I've not checked your notebook to determine if that was the source of
the error you were seeing, but I'd suspect you've not updated that to
reflect the cluster configuration; since Jack was clustered with Gein.
Unfortunately, the 0:: stuff wasn't used in the user template notebook
until around when Jack was added.

#######
[1] remote access is not presently available.  I've gained remote
access via the console serial line and a rather demented VM guest /
Linux / Minicom server configuration.  Yes, I'm looking at traceroutes
and local routing to see if I can isolate this.
[2] the TCP/IP Services V5.7 SMTP symbiont is crashing, leaving the
SMTP server queues stuck in starting state.  Not really relishing
digging through the dump file to determine what's going on, either.
The environment that VMS server symbionts must execute within is, well,
a bit of a joke, but that's fodder for another gripe and another
discussion.  The configuration file has been unchanged for almost a
year.   Yes, I've disabled the SMTP server for now, and am learning how
this new symbiont accesses its files and/or caches and/or configuration
data, and will also check through the TCP/IP Services V5.7 patch
notes[3] for similar problems.
[3] No, I'm not going to load any of those available TCP/IP Services
patches, as it's a hobbyist system.  Not without prior vendor
permission.