[Info-vax] Decuserve.org - Anyone know why it's down?

Bill Gunshannon bill at server3.cs.scranton.edu
Mon Jan 5 12:56:22 EST 2015

In article <00AF0C69.FA2DB1D5 at sendspamhere.org>,
	VAXman-  @SendSpamHere.ORG writes:
> In article <cgvsc6F3j6iU5 at mid.individual.net>, bill at server3.cs.scranton.edu (Bill Gunshannon) writes:
>>In article <m8a72d$sl0$1 at dont-email.me>,
>>	Stephen Hoffman <seaohveh at hoffmanlabs.invalid> writes:

>>> I reversed it back to an IP address that indicated it was a Verizon
>>> FiOS static, which AFAIK / AFAICR is new.   IIRC, the old address
>>> didn't reverse back to FiOS.  If not, "nevermind".
>>
>>I hope that's going to change as it will definitely affect who the users
>>can send email to.
>
> Why do you say that?

Many (one would hope most, if not all) proper MTA's will look at the entry
in the HELO (or EHLO) command in SMTP and attempt to match it to the DNS PTR
value.  If they don't match it is assumed the contacting MTA is spoofing
and will be rejected.

bill

billg999 at cs.scranton.edu |  and a sheep voting on what's for dinner.
University of Scranton   |