[Info-vax] Kittson question

Stephen Hoffman seaohveh at hoffmanlabs.invalid
Mon Jan 5 17:12:48 EST 2015

On 2015-01-05 21:49:22 +0000, Stanley F. Quayle said:

> On Sun, 2015-01-04 at 09:33 -0500, Scott Dorsey via Info-vax wrote:
>> I think this is much more an issue for ELN and Ultrix
>> users than VMS, but I don't think there are any of those left.
>
> Without naming sites, let me just say that the defense of our nation
> rests on VAXELN.

Um, so?

Cuba still uses a number of 1950s-era Detroit cars.

The folks involved will undoubtedly be replacing both the old cars and
the old VAX ELN stuff, when the opportunity next presents

Both the old cars and the old VAX ELN gear do solve the immediate
problems, and both can certainly be kept going, but neither is
particularly effective, efficient nor easy to get parts for.  Not by
present-day standards.  This stuff works, but it is just not what folks
would roll out for replacements and for new deployments.

Pointing to some ancient PDP-11 boxes running nuclear reactors has the
same basic problem.  There are other constraints.   Outside of those
constraints, none of this gear is where the market is now, and none of
this gear is where the market is headed.