[Info-vax] Moonshot

Matthew H McKenzie news.deleteme at swellhunter.org
Tue Jan 6 04:17:21 EST 2015

This would be the direction most of the big players are going in.  The AWS
EC2 "C4" instances are running "bespoke" haswell CPU's.

i.e they are a custom order and sold in volume to a single customer.

- One bus replaces all PSU's,  these are not so much blades but board level
servers. You need the chassis to run them.
- Ultimately they will be maintained by robots, by pull and swap.
- External storage is drifting towards similar arrangements with large raid
arrays of SSD's hot swapped like reactor control rods.
- Still attractive to the MaaS enterprise (nothing beats being in the same
room as your hardware).

The scale is there, and the economies are obvious for power consumption and
real estate.

How moonshot would work for parallel processing has yet to be seen, but I
expect they would scale like leds on a bar graph display.
(IBM- aware readers might think of CICSPLEX regions rolling in on demand.)

ARM has smarts for specific functions too (mod, for instance ?)
They must be as good as Prestonia era servers, without the weight, heat,
noise, and power draw..

So really, web sites would not really have to be static, just not too
ambitious. Groupware for SME's.

Any work that can be broken into work units, well the CPU's could be changed
to application specific dies for crypto currency say, or folding/SETI.

news:m0k8he$bcd$1 at dont-email.me...