[Info-vax] Decuserve.org - Anyone know why it's down?

Bill Gunshannon bill at server3.cs.scranton.edu
Tue Jan 6 10:12:54 EST 2015

In article <54abe7ee$0$32939$b1db1813$79461190 at news.astraweb.com>,
	JF Mezei <jfmezei.spamnot at vaxination.ca> writes:
> Note: where restrictions do work:
>

> when the "HELO invalid.host.bla"
> 	and invalid.host.bla has no forward translation.

Rejected before testing the PTR record.

> when the sending IP address has no reverse translation

That is what we are talking about.  The A and PTR must match or the
system is mis-configured or spoofing and mail should not be accepted.

> Consider mail servers behind NAT.

Another totally different problem.  No legitimate MTA is going to be using
a NATed address because it just won't work.

>                                   Their internet reverse translation may
> point to a router, not back to the host, so exact matches can't be
> enforced.

Maybe can't be determined, but enforced is the responsibility of the remote
MTA and mine will definitely enforce it.  Connection refused.   :-)

bill

billg999 at cs.scranton.edu |  and a sheep voting on what's for dinner.
University of Scranton   |