[Info-vax] Decuserve.org - Anyone know why it's down?

Stephen Hoffman seaohveh at hoffmanlabs.invalid
Tue Jan 6 12:25:49 EST 2015

On 2015-01-06 17:04:15 +0000, JF Mezei said:

> On 15-01-06 10:12, Bill Gunshannon wrote:
>
>> That is what we are talking about.  The A and PTR must match or the
>> system is mis-configured or spoofing and mail should not be accepted.
>
> Nop.  Multiple A records may point to a single PTR which means the one
> PTR for an IP address may not necessarily point to the host name being
> used to send email. Consider multi-homed email server that handles many
> domains.

A multi-homed email server that provides email services for many
domains has one A record and one PTR record, and zero or more MX
records.  That mail server will initiate its outbound SMTP connections
using its own host name, and which has a matching PTR.   If PTR for
that address does not match, then the mail server can be
(mis?)classified as a spam engine.