[Info-vax] Kittson question

ljinnc at gmail.com ljinnc at gmail.com
Tue Jan 6 12:58:49 EST 2015

On Monday, January 5, 2015 12:57:41 AM UTC-5, Chris Scheers wrote:
> johnwallace4 at yahoo.co.uk wrote:

> >> Exact timing is why The Logical Company (which you mentioned before) uses vtVAX for its NuVAX > >> product line - both the QBUS and Unibus models. Logical guarantees that cycle times to custom  > >> devices will be the same on the replacement system as on the original VAX. Very important to
> >> military users like Patriot, HAWK, Minuteman, Milstar, USN, USAF.
> >
> > Well that's interesting wording.
> >
> > "Logical guarantees that cycle times to custom devices will be the
> > same on the replacement system "
> >
> > So we're not saying the instruction timing is the same (that would be
> > tricky with a soft emulator)? We are saying the timing of operations
> > to/from IOspace is the same?

Yes, that's correct. The Logical PCI controller boards ensure proper operation and precise timing of attached peripherals.

> > Ya gotta be keen to need that kind of thing. And some people (probably
> > not many, but possibly with big taxpayer-funded budgets) DO want/need
> > that kind of thing.

Radar and missile systems (CONUS and OCONUS) depend on it.

> There's not many users that need this, but there are some and they
> aren't all big or taxpayer funded.
>
> If you run an emulation on a PC and talk to custom hardware through some
> sort of hardware interface, you may discover that PCI (or PCIe) timing
> can get, well, interesting.
>
> PCI read and write times are not symmetric.
>
> PCI timing can vary from motherboard to motherboard.
>
> PCI timing is tied to a clock which may not match the granularity you
> need for your hardware.
>
> It can be a challenge to juggle all this and get the customer's I/O
> working correctly.
>
> Then throw in things like discovering that Windows would occasionally
> hang the system for 15 microseconds when a task that ran every 10
> seconds made a Windows call, which, when the stars were aligned wrong,
> could corrupt the emulated I/O.  (Sometimes, the user's hardware was
> generating a data sample every 10 microseconds, with no buffering.)

vtVAX ensures that doesn't happen.

> Getting all this working correctly can be a bit of a nightmare.
>
> After handling a few of these types of systems, you get a very good
> appreciation of why these systems have never been upgraded or converted
> to newer hardware.

PCI timing, OS calls, chip/disk/network speed increases are all factors. It would take hundreds of millions of dollars to replace these global defense systems with modern hardware and software. Many of them have life cycles to 2040 and 2050 for that reason.