[Info-vax] Decuserve.org - Anyone know why it's down?

Phillip Helbig undress to reply helbig at asclothestro.multivax.de
Tue Jan 6 15:05:13 EST 2015

In article <ch25hgFmebaU2 at mid.individual.net>,
bill at server3.cs.scranton.edu (Bill Gunshannon) writes:

> >> Because that's the way that some common spam filtering works with
> >> SpamAssassin and various other tools.  If the forward and reverse DNS
> >> translations for the peer mail server don't match, then the local box ---
> >> not the mail server with the bad DNS --- can consider the remote box ---
> >> the mail server with the mismatched DNS --- to be a spam engine, and drop
> >> the messages.
> >
> > From which I conclude that no email I have sent goes through such
> > SpamAssassin stuff.
>
> I thought you said you send your outbound email through a proper MTA
> (relay agent).

Yes.  I specifically said this, and many said "you will still be marked
as a spammer", but I am not.

> But people should realize, places that accept email from sites who's
> A Record and PTR Record do not match are mis-configured.  Period.  The
> RFC's explaion everything you should be doing.

RFCs also say to bounce an email sent to a non-existent user.  These
days, this is a source of backscatter spam and a quick way to get
yourself marked as a spammer (since you will bounce to the forged From:
address, which is the real adddress the spammer wants to spam).