[Info-vax] Decuserve.org - Anyone know why it's down?

David Froble davef at tsoft-inc.com
Wed Jan 7 03:11:12 EST 2015

Bill Gunshannon wrote:

> You missed a major point.  You live in the middle of nowhere.  I live
> within walking distance (well, a long walk) to the 6th largets city in
> PA.  And if you take the Scranton/Wilkes-Barre Metro area as one large
> city (as do most people here and in Harrisburg) it becomes the 3rd
> largest metro area.  Not having Internet is unimaginable.  And you can
> blame Verizon all you want.  There are two other phone companies here
> and a cable company within 3 miles (a trivial distance for modern cable
> systems) and none of them offer service here.
>
> bill

No, I also live close to cities.  Well within your "walking distance".
There is cable and DSL within a half mile of where I live.  No real
physical problems.

I'm told that Verizon doesn't want their wired network anymore.  Who
doesn't use a cell phone?  Not enough for there to be any major money in
land lines anymore.  I even heard they want to sell the wired network.

So much for new DSL service.

Lots of ISPs once you got the wiring for DSL.  Pricing is rather
competitive.  Why would Verizon want to install DSL service, just to
have some other ISP get the buiness?

When I groveled with the cable company, I was informed that they were
busy upgrading their existing network, and not interested in installing
new service.

Most of these problems come down to one name, "Rendell".  There is the
root of our problems.