[Info-vax] Can't get hobbyist licenses from Openvmshobbyist

Stephen Hoffman seaohveh at hoffmanlabs.invalid
Wed Jan 7 09:17:12 EST 2015

On 2015-01-07 03:36:50 +0000, Stephen Eickhoff said:

> Anyone have an idea why?  I even tried filling out the backup form at
> http://plato.ccsscorp.com/hobbyist_registraton.php3.  Over 24 hours
> have passed with no response.  This is a real concern, as my licenses
> have expired so the server is essentially down.  I can't ask on
> Openvsmhobbyist.com's forums because when I log in, I just get a page
> full of broken scripts.

Given the issues and the wholesale rebuild over at OpenVMS.org, I'd
assume that the CCSSCorp path is the primary, at least until the
OpenVMS.org site is pulled up out of the ditch and back onto the
Information Superhighway.

OpenVMSHobbyist wasn't being particularly actively maintained when I
was last dealing with it.  I spent a whole lot of time cleaning out the
tsunami of spam that was arriving at that time, and eventually, well,
surrendered, and deleted my account over there.   Things have hopefully
improved — I haven't looked around over there in a while.

As for the responses for the PAK requests, give it a day or two.

> It seems like the entire OpenVMS community is down.  DECUSSERVE,
> openvms.org, openvmshobbyist.com...

FWIW, remember to set a calendar alarm when your new PAKs arrive, with
alarms of a week or three in advance.   This reduces the aggregate
freak-out, and also avoids the hassles of accessing LMF and reloading
the PAKs on a dead-PAK VMS system.