[Info-vax] Home-grown application process dumps

RGB 11brvo at gmail.com
Wed Jan 7 16:33:24 EST 2015

On Wednesday, January 7, 2015 4:22:44 PM UTC-5, mcle... at gmail.com wrote:
> From your ANALYZE/PROCESS_DUMP (???)
>
> %BAS-F-MEMMANVIO, Memory management violation
> -BAS-I-USEPC_PSL, at user PC=84236620, PSL=0000001B
> -SYSTEM-F-ACCVIO, access violation, reason mask=04, virtual address=00000000002D
> 0002, PC=FFFFFFFF84236620, PS=0000001B
>
> You're at PC 84236620 ?  That's way up high.  Is it in VMS code or dynamic memory?  SDA might help tell you, assuming you have time to get into it and do a SHOW PROCESS/IMAGE before the crash.
>
> Steve says that the 0002D0002 looks like a descriptor, so an attempted pass by value rather than pass by reference (i.e. address) seems likely.
>
> Have you got some diagnostics in the code that help you identify how far it got and hopefully help you pin down if not the line then at least the region?  (I'm well aware that adding diagnostics can hide problems, especially memory corruptions that now take place on memory that you don't access again and therefore there's no problem, but it is worth a try.)

I'll pass it along, thanks.  Being that the processes crash at different times it would be most difficult for me to get to SDA.  I'm going to let the developers handle this for now.  They can whine about it being a "bug in VMS" all they want but until such time as they prove that it is, I'm deaf.  They need to do some serious debugging before I start crying to HP.