[Info-vax] Eisner's PAKs, was: Re: Can't get hobbyist licenses from Openvmshobbyist

Stephen Hoffman seaohveh at hoffmanlabs.invalid
Wed Jan 7 21:12:17 EST 2015

On 2015-01-07 23:48:10 +0000, David Froble said:

> Stephen Hoffman wrote:
>>
>> VSI has a PAK generator.  :-)
>>

> Can I have one?  :-)

Technically, you already have one.   There's a PAK generator present
within VMS.   You do need a PAK to enable it.   HP AllianceONE partners
can ask HP for a PAKGEN PAK.

This is yet another thing that HP and VSI will have to sort out, if
they've not already done so.   VSI will already be doing some work with
LMF and with the products they're going to want to authorize under
their own name; they'll likely require new PAKs for at least some
software products.

I'd also wonder if we might see a requirement for PAKs with a new
checksum scheme here too, particularly if VSI expects folks to buy
everything anew and/or for VSI partners to be issued new PAKGEN PAKs
and to generate PAKs anew.   LMF checksums 1 (pre-V5.2 PAKs) and 2
(current) are the PAK checksums presently in use.  But we'll see...