[Info-vax] HBVS (was:Re:Kittson question)

Stephen Hoffman seaohveh at hoffmanlabs.invalid
Thu Jan 8 15:55:03 EST 2015

On 2015-01-08 08:48:43 +0000, Paul Sture said:

> Hmm, my memory says that I read similar in the V5.4 era, but maybe my
> memory is wrong.  Whatever, does anyone have more details on why Phase
> I was discontinued?

Shadowing Phase I presented DUS devices and was tied directly into the
HSC storage controller, its firmware, and DSA/MSCP.

Shadowing Phase II used DSA devices, was entirely host-based, and
solely required that the controller implement a few specific commands.

With the DSA/MSCP devices, the MSCP controller  specifically only the
HSC series MSCP controllers, AFAIK/IIRC  would notify the host that
the recovered sector data was corrupt every time the sector data was
read; after the sector was replaced.  This notification allowed Phase I
to detect and reload the questionable or corrupted sector from one of
the other copies in the mirror.   Since that forced-error mechanism
doesn't exist on newer devices, the (optional) READL and WRITEL SCSI
commands are used.

If any member device involved doesn't have READL or WRITEL command
support, then the disk volume gets kicked out of the shadowset on the
first unrecoverable error.  This means that the first time there's any
report of an error that's beyond the capabilities of the disk device
ECC data, and thus that any device-local recovery could involve a
latent disk sector corruption, the disk will be kicked out of the HBVS
volume / RAID mirror set.

<https://web.archive.org/web/20071008224041/http://deathrow.vistech.net/~cvisors/DEC94MDS/quormq21.txt>

More Google Fodder: HBVS / volume shadowing / host-based volume
shadowing / RAID / Mirroring / EDC

Related: <http://labs.hoffmanlabs.com/node/838>

-- Pyffle HQ -=- London, England -=- http://pyffle.com