[Info-vax] Kittson question

Stephen Hoffman seaohveh at hoffmanlabs.invalid
Thu Jan 8 11:00:00 EST 2015

On 2015-01-08 11:29:23 +0000, abrsvc said:

>> controller-based, also known as phase I shadowing. Starting with OpenVMS
>
> This statement says it all.  Phase 1 has not been discontinued, it just
> is not referenced as phase 1 anymore.  Controller based shadowning is
> available on any SAN storage although usually different RAID levels are
> used instead of just shadowing.  Shadowing is RAID level 1 after all.

Yes, HBVS phase I and phase II are RAID-1.
But Shadowing Phase I has been retired.
Shadowing Phase I is similar to controller-based RAID, but it involved
the host system in the processing, and could involve multiple HSC
controllers.
Please see my "Re: HBVS" reply for additional details.

ps: donno where the double post came from.   Sorry about that.