[Info-vax] Streaming a File on OpenVMS with Caché

Steven Schweda sms.antinode at gmail.com
Wed Jan 14 20:29:33 EST 2015

> You are right I was short of details.

   Still are, I'd say.

> OpenVMS v8.4

      tcpip show version

(Or are you using some other IP product?  (Which?))

https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/intersystems-public-cache/uCH35ZXhai0

> I think DIR/FULL can tell you what the type of the file is.

   Still waiting for those potentially useful data.

> The file is created on a Linux/Windows/Windows Server
> system and then FTP'd to our OpenVMS system.

   "FTP'd" is not a very detailed description of anything.
Which system was the FTP client, and which the server?
Programs/procedures used?

   Lacking basic info, I might guess that the FTP program
(client or server?) on the VMS side is creating a file with a
fixed-512 record format (which would be typical for a binary
FTP transfer), while the Caché software is expecting some
stream format (Stream_LF?).  If that's true, then what to do
may depend on which program is doing what.  For example, Wget
as an FTP client on VMS offers an option:

    --ftp-stmlf                 Use Stream_LF format for all binary FTP files.

   If the VMS FTP server is creating the file with the right
data but an undesired record format, then you might be able
to use SET FILE /ATTRIBUTES to adjust the record format
without damaging the data.

   To reduce the guesswork, you'd need to supply the info
which is (still) missing from your problem description.

> In regards to file types, [...]

   VMS files have attributes, like record formats, which
other systems may lack.  If you're starting with a non-VMS
file, then there are really not very many VMS record formats
which would be relevant -- certainly not an "exhausting"
variety.  In most cases, DIRE /FULL and SET FILE /ATTR (and,
occasionally, CONVERT) are about all the tools you should
need to deal with recognizing what you have and converting it
to what you want.  (If you know what you want, that is.)
Having different record formats (or, for that matter,
records) may be inconvenient in some cases. but it's not
"illogical' (if you understand the logic).  Thrashing around
without collecting the important data could lead to
frustration, I suppose, but it's usually avoidable.

> If you have a known good format on the source system that you
> have agreed on, you can ZIP it and then transfer the ZIP file
> in "binary". When unzipping on the target VMS system, you
> will have better chance of recreating the original file
> format.

   If the file originated on a non-VMS system, then it may
have no record format for Zip and UnZip to preserve and
restore.  With no information to guide it, I would not bet
that UnZip would use attributes which are any better than
those used by the FTP program.