[Info-vax] Streaming a File on OpenVMS with Caché

BillPedersen pedersen at ccsscorp.com
Wed Jan 14 23:18:18 EST 2015

On Wednesday, January 14, 2015 at 9:50:26 PM UTC-5, Mack Altman III wrote:
> The %Stream class within Cache opens the file into memory, which can be read and evaluated to later be written to disk. The issue we experience is even with the line terminator set to CR,LF the line is broken when the variable length is reached. VMS is enforcing a line termination; although, there isn't one within the file.
>
> I consider myself a pretty savvy "Googler", which is why after finding nothing about enforcing a file type or modifying it without err I reached out to the group. The main problem I experience with both OpenVMS and Cache are they are very small in regards to the size of the community of developers out there.

Mack:

Maybe I miss any discussion of this feature in the thread but here is a way to control the creation of files so they are stream_lf.  Would this give what you want?

TCPIP$FTP_STREAMLF

If defined, the FTP server and client create files as RMS STREAM_LF files. The default is variable-length files.

This is documented in the TCPIP "Management" manual.

I have fought various wars with HP over FTP and how it manages files and interprets them but this seems like it is the sort of thing you are looking for.

Bill.

Bill.