[Info-vax] Streaming a File on OpenVMS with Caché

Norm Raphael norman.raphael at verizon.net
Thu Jan 15 10:39:51 EST 2015

>On 01/15/15, Mack Altman III<mack.altmaniii at gmail.com> wrote:
 >
>> Do we care? No. What we care about is what's in the
>> file. Is it text or binary data?
>We have both text and binary.
>
>> Apparently, your clients use some kind of FTP client program
>> to send the file to your VMS FTP server.
>I've said, "Our clients FTP the file to us so we cannot see what their
>current settings are." If you're referring to the FTP client program used,
>are you saying that the FTP client (e.g. CMD, FileZilla, FireFTP, etc.) matters?
>
>> Is the file being transferred in text/ASCII or binary
>> mode?
>I've said, "As far as we go with the FTP process is telling them to use
>ASCII/BIN." That said, we can advise them to transmit via either.
>
>> I'm guessing from "Record format: Variable length"
>> that it's a text/ASCII transfer.
>If you can let me know how I'm supposed to be able to determine whether
>the file is ASCII or BIN without asking the person who uploaded the file,
>I could definitely let you know. Otherwise, you're assumption is as good as mine.
>
>At this moment, I have a BIN file with the following DIR/FULL. In doing a
>DUMP/REC, each record is terminated at 512 bytes. When reading the file,
>the CR,LF also terminates the record.
>TESTFILE.DONE;1 File ID: (4262,122,0)
>Size: 643/1152 Owner: [TEST]
>Linkcount: 1
>File organization: Sequential
>Shelved state: Online
>Caching attribute: Writethrough
>File attributes: Allocation: 1152, Extend: 0, Global buffer count: 0
 >No version limit
>Record format: Fixed length 512 byte records
>Record attributes: None
>RMS attributes: None
>Journaling enabled: None
>File protection: System:RWED, Owner:RWED, Group:RE, World:
>Access Cntrl List: None
>Client attributes: None

 Well, so far, so good.  The above is exactly what one would expect
from a Binary transfer.

Now if you had included one of the blocks from the dump, we could
have looked at it to see if the line-feed characters were in it, or if
you had tried $SET FILE /ATT=RFM=STMLF TESTFILE.DONE
and looked at a $DIRECTORY/FULL TESTFILE.DONE to see if
that's what you wanted.  (You could also do the convert thing if you
want to keep the old file and create a new one.)  I'm also not so sure
that you don't want the customer to use ASCII transfer, which
probably will not give fixed 512-byte blocks.

 Norman F. Raphael
"Everything worthwhile eventually
degenerates into real work." -Murphy