[Info-vax] Streaming a File on OpenVMS with Caché

Bill Gunshannon bill at server3.cs.scranton.edu
Fri Jan 16 08:31:04 EST 2015

In article <da054508-1279-484a-b7b4-7e0f678d06cc at googlegroups.com>,
	Steven Schweda <sms.antinode at gmail.com> writes:
>> [...]  I'd look at a solution that FTP's ZIP'ed files
>> between the system. That is a reasoanle safe way to keep
>> file organisation intact. UNZIP also has some options
>> that can adjust CR/LF on the fly, if needed.
>
>    Info-ZIP Zip has "-l" and "-ll".  UnZip has "-a" and
> "-aa", and, on VMS, "-S".  But plain-old FTP has ASCII mode,
> and, for a text file, that's usually good enough (especially
> if TCPIP$FTP_STREAMLF is defined on a VMS server), and it
> might also require less of the remote users.
>
>> [...] In the particular case in this thread there isn't
>> realy enough information to be able to give a complete
>> solution. [...]
>
>    Too true.

Seems to me there is.  The recieving end has a program that, obviously,
expects a particular input.  Tell the sending side(s) the format that
the data needs to be in and don't accept anything else.

Having gone thru this kind of fiasco I can assure you it is the only
way to get usable (and accurate) data.  If there is no required format
you will get crap and worse still, constantly changing crap.

bill

billg999 at cs.scranton.edu |  and a sheep voting on what's for dinner.
University of Scranton   |