[Info-vax] Streaming a File on OpenVMS with Caché

cmexec at gmail.com cmexec at gmail.com
Fri Jan 16 10:01:03 EST 2015

On Friday, January 16, 2015 at 9:11:49 AM UTC-5, Steven Schweda wrote:

>    I love your customer orientation, but please explain how a
> remote user on a non-VMS system can determine the record
> format of a file when it arrives at (or is reconstituted on)
> the VMS system.

1)  By using BINARY or ASCII modes correctly.  This will tell
the VMS FTP software whether to create 512 byte blocks of
whatever bytes arrive, or variable length text records where
separation happens between records is located based on
FTP's standard for delimiting such.

2)  I don't know about UCX, but Multinet's FTP server supports
site commands which the remote user can send to set record
attributes.  We successfully transferred fixed length 80 byte
data from Solaris to VMS system into VMS files which were
required to be fixed length 80 byte record files many times.