[Info-vax] 64 bit DCL ?

MG marcogbNO at SPAMxs4all.nl
Fri Jan 16 13:24:58 EST 2015

JF Mezei schreef op 16-jan-2015 om 18:53:
> what if:
>
> myvar = %xFFFFFF    then "myvar" is created as a 32bit integer variable
>
> myvar = %xFFFFFFFFFF  then myvar doesn't fit as 32, so created as 64 bit
> type.
>

> Could this work ?
>
> In other words, have 2 types of integer variables, and whatever type is
> assigned to a variable depends on the values being assigned to them ?

Or why not a completely new, 64-bit capable, DCL offered as "DCL2"
and which can or is simply the default for new installations and
that the old, legacy, regular DCL ("DCL"/"DCL1"?) can still be set
in UAF?  (Like for all those 'mission critical' users, power plants
and what-not out there.)  Just an idea...

At times you wonder if sometimes simply 'breaking' things is so very
bad necessarily, especially if it's done in a controlled manner.
Take for instance how OpenBSD has tackled the new 64-bit UNIX date/
timekeeping format, where they not too long ago opted for breaking
(although a bit lesser than NetBSD did, I think), but still.  The
rationale behind it was that if you never dare to break anything,
you will never get anywhere and the substandard and (or potentially
long-term prone to be) flawed things will remain substandard and
broken.

  - MG