[Info-vax] 64 bit DCL ?

David Froble davef at tsoft-inc.com
Fri Jan 16 15:02:26 EST 2015

Stephen Hoffman wrote:
> On 2015-01-16 16:59:51 +0000, Keith Cayemberg said:
>
>> Hmmm, I have reconsidered the choice of QUADINT as a reserved word for
>> DCL. It would probably be more correct to use QUADWORD or just QUAD.
>
> Or DCL is deprecated, and replaced with a command language that's more
> consistent and tightly specified, and with modern features and
> extensibility.

The customer in hand is known.  To deprecate such for the mythical
customers in the bush could lead you to have no customers at all.

> A command language with the ability to generate WIMP and HTML interfaces
> and process the associated input, asynch I/O and notifications without
> needing SPAWN or such, support for manipulating binary data, data
> structures including classes and objects and arrays and dictionaries,
> native TCP and UDP socket support, regular expressions, full UTF-8
> access, internationalization, a JIT-capable interpreter and also with a
> compiler and a debugger that makes the command language a first-class
> citizen of the mixed-language environment, pipes without needing the
> PIPE verb, integration with the as-yet-unimplemented VMS
> cluster-distributed event notification system, etc.
>
> Yeah, and being able to deal with quadwords and floating point would be
> nice, too.

Well, it's called DEC Basic ....

:-)

Actually, that might be a good starting point.  VAX had soemthing
similar to JIT, I believe.  Maybe just a new name for an old concept.