[Info-vax] Decuserve.org - Anyone know why it's down?

MG marcogbNO at SPAMxs4all.nl
Sat Jan 17 14:15:15 EST 2015

Michael Moroney schreef op 17-jan-2015 om 15:57:
> VSI has been having problems both with the DNS and the connection
> itself. Eisner was up and reachable yesterday, now it's not, even
> if you connect directly to the IP address.

Not sure if this is the case, but...  Maybe the aging DS20 is too
power-hungry to keep powered on continuously?  With a power rating
of 675 Watt max. per PSU (optionally redundant), plus with the disks
in the BA shelf, it sounds like it could be fairly taxing over longer
periods of time...  (Theoretically speaking, at its maximum potential,
it could amount to as much as around 16.2 kWh/day!!)  Especially
considering the fact that VSI is probably having quite a difficult
time, with cleaning up the mess of OpenVMS Engineering and bringing
about all the changes and additions to VMS.

Maybe a DS15 (with a 400-Watt max. rating) with (e.g.) one or two
Ultra160 SCSI<=>S-ATA bridged 2-Tbyte disks to replace the current
setup would be a good idea?  (Instead of outright emulating on even
more power-efficient µITX PC hardware, for instance, so it would
still be the 'real thing'.)  A KZPEA and/or SA5300/A plus one or two
ACARD cards would do the trick, I'd think.  Or maybe an IPF, like
the zx2000?  Like that you can simply get a VMS-supported PCI-X SAS
controller (e.g. LSISAS1064/1068-based HBA) and just split from SAS
to S-ATA and then you won't need the far more costly SCSI<=>S-ATA
adapters and can just directly attach one or more inexpensive 3½"
S-ATA disks.

Might cost a bit at first (especially the DS15 route), but in the
long run it's probably going to save money on the power bill.  Or
would there be issues with, say, running software like DEC Notes
under VMS I64?

  - MG