[Info-vax] Evolve, or... (was: Re: 64 bit DCL ?)

Stephen Hoffman seaohveh at hoffmanlabs.invalid
Sun Jan 18 15:58:33 EST 2015

On 2015-01-18 17:55:12 +0000, JF Mezei said:

> On 15-01-18 12:10, Stephen Hoffman wrote:
>
>> There is a whole lot that DCL is just not very good at, whether it's
>> the perpetual confusion around how many single and double-quotes and
>> ampersands are needed that confuse new users and trip experienced
>> users,
>
> Touché.
>
> But don't all shells have some problem with the quoting ? VMS may be
> worse than others, but not alone.

Operating systems are a very competitive business.  You're competing
with a pricing floor of free operating systems[1], and probably with a
price ceiling of what Microsoft charges for their Windows Server, RHEL
or whatever other products are the leading contenders in the target
markets.   Success is not from doing what was always done, nor from
aiming for what your competitors are doing now, nor from doing
everything exactly how it has always been done.   Sure, quality and
stability are important.  But so are costs, ease of use, and
portability of applications.

Certainly aim at the existing VMS market long enough to get the
business going, and until VSI figures out what markets they're most
successful with now and which markets they can grow with, but any
vendor needs to aim at some combination of better, easier, faster,
simpler, cheaper or other benefits, if the vendor wants to attract new
customers.

Getting to a competitive and successful product is also not about
keeping current customers happy with what they have now, either.
It's about making the current customers really want to upgrade their
current VMS installations, and about making third-party developers
really want to build and deploy on VMS.

If the customers and the third-party providers aren't investing in VMS
upgrades, then there's a serious business problem.  If the folks are
not seeing the value and are not spending their money, that's bad for
the future of VMS.

If VSI is smart and aggressive and can get enough of a revenue stream
going, then they'll hopefully also start training VMS customers to
expect some of the most crufty parts in VMS will get replaced and
removed, too.  Give the folks that need stability a long-term-support
(LTS) plan for their current application code, and get the
stability-oriented folks accustomed to doing upgrades on a ten-year
schedule[2], for instance.  But when those ten years are up, the old
stuff is gone from support, and the worst of the deprecated and
decrepit and superseded features and APIs are potentially then removed,
too.  Yes, this is disruptive, but it's how a vendor can move faster,
and can adapt to changing requirements and expectations.   I'd rather
have improvements and rather less compatibility, particularly if I have
a upgrade schedule to work toward.  This whether I'm looking at more
bleeding-edge work for some projects, or toward an LTS upgrade schedule
for some production servers.

Predicting what the customers might want isn't easy, though.   If
there's not a good, embeddable, debuggable command line interface and
particularly that can attract upgrades and new users, then VSI might
choose to provide one.   But then spending buckets of time and money on
DCL enhancements or on a CLI replacement for DCL that doesn't then
encourage (enough) new users and existing upgrades?  That's a problem
for any vendor.

Being "worse than the others" isn't a particularly good strategy for
success.  Not unless you're much better in some other areas.  VSI has
to figure out how to get there, and to get folks to want to install and
to upgrade VMS, and to do so profitably.  It's _really easy_ to lose
money in the operating system business, after all.

Shells and quoting?  Most languages don't require double- or
triple-quoting, nor unbalanced single-quoting.   C-like languages tend
to use a backslash as an escapement and not doubling or tripling the
quoting characters, too.  The weird quoting with DCL implies there are
missing features and/or accumulated hacks or different solutions, and
DCL is most certainly missing features such as arrays and dictionaries
and objects and asynchronous event notifications and asynchronous I/O
and UTF-8 support and command completion and binary data handling and
non-PIPE piping and the performance of JITing and the embed-ability of
compilation and...   Yes, various of those can be hacked into your DCL
procedures.  Then maintaining compatibility with some of that.   Which
is part of how we got into this whole mess.

Interesting times.  VSI has really smart folks working for them, and
has a whole lot of hard work and makes some good predictions.  Then
we'll see if VMS can swim.

######
[1] Linux and the BSDs are free.   RHEL is effectively free, in the
guise of its clones.   OS X and Windows licenses are embedded with the
hardware purchases.  VSI may or may not decide to follow free licenses
with paid support, and/or free licenses and upgrades with VSI-branded
hardware packages and/or paid support.
[2] Some of the same stability-oriented folks are also going to want to
and need to mitigate the possibility that VSI might not be around in a
decade, too.  That might lead to requests that the VSI source code be
escrowed or archived somewhere, for instance.