[Info-vax] DCL's flaws (both scripting and UI)

Jan-Erik Soderholm jan-erik.soderholm at telia.com
Sun Jan 18 18:25:53 EST 2015

I feel that DCL mostly does what I expect quite OK,
that is running the day to day opertion routines.

Now, there *is* a gap between DCL and compiled tools.
You will probably still write your "true" applications
in some compiled language, but there is still a place
for tools in between, for one-of-a-time "fix" jobs
and similar.

15 years ago some people installed Perl to fill that gap.
Today some uses Python partly becuse it feels more modern
and partly becuse there is a quite good Python port for VMS.

Python isn't perfect, of course. There is the V2 vs. V3
problem and some doesn't like the forced indentation,
mostly a habit and the code get "forced readability".

There are some ports of other tools like LUA for VMS,
but I do not think anything comes close to Python when
looking at built-in VMS integration.