[Info-vax] DCL's flaws (both scripting and UI)

cmexec at gmail.com cmexec at gmail.com
Mon Jan 19 09:10:55 EST 2015

On Sunday, January 18, 2015 at 10:30:14 PM UTC-5, Craig A. Berry wrote:
> On 1/18/15 3:19 PM, Simon Clubley wrote:
>

> > I also find the unified diff output to be a _lot_ more readable than
> > the output from the DCL differences command.
>
> Agreed. That's why I've been using GNU diff on VMS quite a lot for the
> last fifteen years or so.

We've never found any other OS' differencing engine with as usable output as VMS'.
There was a discussion about this a while back in c.o.v, and how the approach
taken by the VMS engine differs from that used by gnu.

But we've taken to using third party products on Windows and Mac, and they do a
nice job with a nice GUI interface.  Right now BeyondCompare (Windows or Mac) is
one we really like and any future VMS work on differencing should look at features
in tools such as that.  Lot of our Windowsonly users are using CodeDiff, but it writes
HTML with \ in the URLs.