[Info-vax] DCL's flaws (both scripting and UI)

Simon Clubley clubley at remove_me.eisner.decus.org-Earth.UFP
Mon Jan 19 17:16:19 EST 2015

On 2015-01-19, Phillip Helbig (undress to reply) <helbig at asclothestro.multivax.de> wrote:
> In article <m9h815$i3f$1 at dont-email.me>, Simon Clubley
><clubley at remove_me.eisner.decus.org-Earth.UFP> writes:
>>
>> Some of DCL's UI flaws:
>>
>> 1) You can't edit commands across line boundaries. Even Windows CLIs
>> can do this.
>
> This isn't really a DCL issue, though, is it?

It affects DCL so in a way that makes it a DCL issue.

If the terminal driver code is so yucky it can't be fixed, then why
can't this be handled within DCL itself with it's own input routines ?

>> 8) You cannot delete a directory tree in one go.
>
> Yes you can.  What version of VMS do you have?  Try HELP.

I mentioned earlier on that I wasn't aware this was added to VMS 8.4.

Simon.

--
Simon Clubley, clubley at remove_me.eisner.decus.org-Earth.UFP