[Info-vax] DCL's flaws (both scripting and UI)

David Froble davef at tsoft-inc.com
Mon Jan 19 22:30:04 EST 2015

Stephen Hoffman wrote:
> On 2015-01-19 22:53:11 +0000, John Reagan said:
>
>> I'd rather not mung up DCL with aggregate returns (don't call them
>> objects please) but rather say you should use Perl or Python for such
>> larger tasks.
>
> Which gets back to looking at how to provide an alternative or a more
> modern scripting language than what DCL provides.
>
> So get Perl, Python or Lua into the base distro, and with a decent set
> of libraries, and — like what is offered for DCL — allow an easy path
> for direct invocation.

Which doesn't seem to be a problem, from what I can see.

Actually, if Python ran with DCL still being the CLI, it should not be a
problem.  If you wanted Python as the CLI, that might be some work.  Nor
do I have any clue what kind or how much work.  Nor any clue as to any
benefits.

> With embedding and scripting, where those languages support it, too.
>
> For better or worse, DCL and Macro32 are the common programming choices,
> having the benefit of being installed everywhere.

Isn't that a business decision?

Selected languages could be bundled in with the base VMS distribution.