[Info-vax] DCL's flaws (both scripting and UI)

David Froble davef at tsoft-inc.com
Tue Jan 20 12:50:59 EST 2015

Jan-Erik Soderholm wrote:

> OK, so a similar data type exist in the base Basic distribution?
> I thought not.

If your position is dependent upon a particular data type existing, then
I submit the following:

10	Dim L$(99,2)   ! Create an array of dynamic string descriptors

	<some code to load L$(index,1) with a key value
	and L$(index,2) with the associated data>

	! This would be the "tool" to retrive data based upon the key
	String Function RetriveData( <key> )
		For I% = 1% to 99%
			If	<key> = L$(I%,1%)
			Then	RetriveData = L$(I%,2%)
				Exit Function
			End If
		Next I%
		RetriveData = ""
	End Function

	! This would be a retrival
	D$ = RetriveData( <some key> )

Ok, syntax may not be all correct, and it's over simplified, but I think
the above shows just how easy it would be to implement that capability
in Basic, AND I submit that the data type to allow the capability
already exists in Basic.