[Info-vax] DCL's flaws (both scripting and UI)

Stephen Hoffman seaohveh at hoffmanlabs.invalid
Wed Jan 21 09:25:11 EST 2015

On 2015-01-21 13:10:24 +0000, johnson.eric at gmail.com said:

> I would imagine that even Froble could concede that there was a time
> that he looked forward to new features added to his trusty DEC Basic
> toolset.
> I would hope that familiarity with that excitement could enable one to
> understand why others might be drawn to the features of newer languages.

Or to the substantially updated and got-to-have-it versions of VMS,
from the ancient times.   Outside of the folks that want or need
Poulson-class servers, that's probably not V8.4-1H1.  Whether the
x86-64 port or subsequent releases can add significant new features —
beyond the platform port — probably depends on how big VSI can get and
particularly on how much revenue they can realize from their initial
VMS and LP releases and/or support.

As for the future of BASIC, it'd be interesting to see what might
happen should VSI decide to overhaul DEC BASIC, adding object support,
pointer support, garbage collection and maybe some other new features
into the language.  This'd probably best follow the Visual Basic AS
syntax for pointers, given the VB syntax is long established.  This
won't draw all that many folks away from C, C++, Python or other
higher-profile languages.  But the crowd using VB was and probably
still is bigger than the crowd using VMS, l'd expect.

The flaws in DCL, however, remain.  It's clunky and confusing to use
with its asymmetric quoting and its fondness for quoted quotes for
various tasks, and that BASIC and Macro32 can solve various of these
limitations — sort of, as BASIC doesn't have a good way to chain
together a series of commands, short of spawning off DCL — won't draw
new folks to VMS.

Now as to whether VSI can get to profitability and can then start
seriously chasing what's available on other platforms, and can start
growing the user base?  That's no small and no simple project, either.