[Info-vax] DCL's flaws (both scripting and UI)

John Reagan xyzzy1959 at gmail.com
Wed Jan 21 09:47:46 EST 2015

On Tuesday, January 20, 2015 at 1:15:55 PM UTC-5, Marc Van Dyck wrote:
> John Reagan was thinking very hard :
> >
> > If you want concise, I'll go get APL up and running for you.
> >
> Can we ask for that ? really ?
>
> --
> Marc Van Dyck

I have the sources somewhere. :)  One of my former co-workers was one of the VAX APL developers and was trying to get it running on Alpha.  Apparently VAX APL generates VAX code on the fly for some diadic operators (I think double-dot and a few others).  That was done for performance of course.  He was playing with rewriting those into C and not do the on-the-fly code generation.  It wouldn't be as fast, but it is portable and newer hardware is faster.

In my spare time after we get all the languages ported, updated to current standards, add all the new languages discussed here(I don't see the attraction to Rust or Lua myself and I dislike Python's indentation scheme), implement DCL64, and do it all without PAKs or revenue, I'll get right to it.  I guess I'll need to setup a Kickstarter campaign for my salary.

And no, I don't have sources for VAX SCAN, VAX LISP, VAX Modula-2, VAX RPG-II, VAX CORAL, or VAX KOALA