[Info-vax] DCL's flaws (both scripting and UI)

JF Mezei jfmezei.spamnot at vaxination.ca
Wed Jan 21 11:17:28 EST 2015

On 15-01-21 11:05, Stephen Hoffman wrote:

> If you believe that quoting is the extent of my issues with DCL, kindly
> please re-read some of my earlier messages.

I did not mean to imply that the quoting was the only problem.  The
trick here is to find a path that allows old stuff to continue to work
while VMS evolves with new functionality.

So with every problem you raise, the question becomes: can we evolve DCL
to fix this (either in a upward cmpatible way, or one requiring
DCL64.exe, the shebang or other approach).

Is it correct to state that with Unix, when you invoke a shell script, a
new process is created, so it becomes easier to give that process the
shell that is specified in the first line of the script ?