[Info-vax] Online and Subscription Models (was: Re: Eisner's PAKs, ...)

Stephen Hoffman seaohveh at hoffmanlabs.invalid
Wed Jan 21 11:21:05 EST 2015

On 2015-01-21 16:44:45 +0000, Bob Koehler said:

> In article <ci7k26FmpinU2 at mid.individual.net>,
> bill at server3.cs.scranton.edu (Bill Gunshannon) writes:
>>
>> You mean like Microsoft's new model for their Office Product?
>
>    What's new about selling buggy software and then charging for
>    the "upgrade" that fixes some of the bugs?  MS has had that model
>    for decades.

Like Adobe, Microsoft is now offering online tools and a subscription
service; Adobe Creative Cloud, and Microsoft Office360.  What's often
called SaaS.

It wouldn't surprise me to learn that VSI is or will be looking at
subscription server monitoring and proactive maintenance notifications
and other related services, and maybe also the capacity on demand
support.  The existing VMS operating system and layered products and
tools themselves don't lend themselves to SaaS online operations, short
of running VMS guests on hosted servers.  It wouldn't be surprising to
see some folks outsource VMS to VSI.   Though it would be entertaining
to see a VMS PXE system boot directly from a remote VSI server.  (But
how you'd sign and secure that path, given some of the current MITM
shenanigans?)