[Info-vax] Quoting question

hb end.of at inter.net
Wed Jan 21 15:01:20 EST 2015

On 01/21/2015 07:12 PM, Jan-Erik Soderholm wrote:
> Bob Gezelter skrev den 2015-01-21 18:02:
>> The case "problem" is solved by using F$EDIT and F$EXTRACT to capitalize
>> the first letter and force lower case on the remainder (presuming
>> English capitalization).
>
> Yes, but I had no time to work it out as a one-liner.
> Using multiple line it's easy, of course, and I do
> not think JF had asked in that case...

F$EDIT doesn't solve the case problem: as we all know, DCL symbols
aren't case sensitive. As far as I understood the OP, the expectation
was to preserve the symbol name as entered. Like in:
   $ Chocolate = "good"
   $ Flavour = "Chocolate"
and a
   $ write sys$output "''Flavour' is ''&Flavour'"
was expected to print
   Chocolate is good

This can be done in (GNU/GNV) bash - and probably in other shells as
well - for example with:
   $ Chocolate=good
   $ Flavor=Chocolate
   $ echo $Flavor is $(eval echo \$$Flavor)
   Chocolate is good
   $