[Info-vax] DCL's flaws (both scripting and UI)

johnwallace4 at yahoo.co.uk johnwallace4 at yahoo.co.uk
Wed Jan 21 16:08:12 EST 2015

On Wednesday, 21 January 2015 17:58:36 UTC, Simon Clubley  wrote:
> On 2015-01-21, Bob Koehler <koehler at eisner.nospam.decuserve.org> wrote:
> > In article <54bde6b7$0$58715$c3e8da3$88b277c5 at news.astraweb.com>, JF Mezei <jfmezei.spamnot at vaxination.ca> writes:
> >>
> >> Not quite. History not saved when you don't actually logout (crashed,
> >> close xterm window etc) and history not "live" shared between different
> >> windows .
> >
> > All of my shells on UNIX and Mac screw up the history when
> > logging from multiple processes at the same time.  You have one
> > that doesn't?
> >

> Bash on RHEL based systems I have used has always saved session history
> from multiple sessions into one .bash_history file without each session
> clobbering the other session history (subject to the requested maximum
> amount of history to keep).
>
> I've seen people complain about the above clobbering so it must happen,
> but I have never seen this.
>
> > It's more prevalent in VMS when using network file access, but on any
> > OS beware of history files containing access information that was typed
> > on command lines.
> >

> Which is why for bash you can (and I do) unset HISTFILE when doing that.
>
> Simon.
>
> --
> Simon Clubley, clubley at remove_me.eisner.decus.org-Earth.UFP
> Microsoft: Bringing you 1980s technology to a 21st century world

There's a shared-shell-history vs separate-shell-history thing for bash
in multiple sessions. It's per-user configurable. Does that add anything
here?

Can I remember how? No. Can I think of a suitable web query that will
find the answers rather than the unanswered question? No, not quickly
anyway. Am I convinced that I used to do it on either RedHat/FC or
(Open)Suse, in the last few years? Absolutely.

Have a lot of fun.