[Info-vax] Quoting question

Jan-Erik Soderholm jan-erik.soderholm at telia.com
Thu Jan 22 04:34:50 EST 2015

Bart Zorn skrev den 2015-01-22 07:45:
> On Wednesday, January 21, 2015 at 5:32:23 PM UTC+1, JF Mezei wrote:
>> Say I have:
>>
>> $chocolate = "good"
>> $cherry = "red"
>> $flavour = "chocolate"
>>
>> is there a way to have
>>
>> $write sys$output "''flavour' is ?????????"
>>
>> come out  as "chocolate is good"  ?
>>
>> or would I have to do a substitution to a temporary variable first and
>> use that temp variable in the write sys$output command ?
>
> What is wrong with:
>
> $ write sys$output flavour, " is ", chocolate
>
> No quoting or substitution necessary.
>
> Bart

What is wrong is that you was clearly ment to only supply
the value of the symbol flavour, you was not ment to
know alrady that the symbol contained "chocolate", as
you does.

You are ment to be able to do $flavour = "cherry" and
*without changing the DCL statement* get "cherry is red".

Wasn't that absolutely clear?

Jan-Erik.