[Info-vax] [OT] Assembly language, was: Re: DCL's flaws (both scripting and UI)

Stephen Hoffman seaohveh at hoffmanlabs.invalid
Thu Jan 22 15:41:03 EST 2015

On 2015-01-22 20:07:19 +0000, Simon Clubley said:

> I still think they would be better programmers for having that
> knowledge because it would give them a better understanding of how the
> hardware they are using actually works.

<https://github.com/alex/what-happens-when/blob/master/README.rst>.

But at some level as you drill ever more deeply into the proverbial
stack of turtles involved with modern computing, you have to trust that
your usually-somewhat-leaky abstractions are "good enough", and that
the underpinnings can and do work as intended; that the underpinnings
(and the hardware and software tools, applicable standards, etc) are
correct, work as documented, and not otherwise compromised.  Or you can
complete your goals much, much, much more slowly, if at all.