[Info-vax] DCL's flaws (both scripting and UI)

mcleanjoh at gmail.com mcleanjoh at gmail.com
Thu Jan 22 16:30:48 EST 2015

On Friday, January 23, 2015 at 8:24:04 AM UTC+11, mcle... at gmail.com wrote:
> On Friday, January 23, 2015 at 1:17:40 AM UTC+11, Bob Koehler wrote:
> > In article <m9pdk1$cqh$1 at dont-email.me>, David Froble <davef at tsoft-inc.com> writes:
> > >
> > > I haven't really considered the calls for looping capability.  Perhaps
> > > because I do looping in DCL frequently.
> > >
> > > Is the problem that there is no formalized looping commands?
> >
> >    The problem is the large number of programmers I've worked with
> >    who insist that there is no "goto" in C.
>
> It's just simpler and usually clearer to write chunks of DCL that don't have something like
>

> LAB$:

I don't know what happened ... I thought I hit Shift N ...

It's just simpler and usually clearer to write Loops (FOR, WHILE, DO) instead of chunks of DCL that don't have something like ...

  N = 1
LAB_10:
  N = N + 1
  IF (N.GE.X) THEN GOTO END_LOOP
    :
    :
  GOTO LAB10
END_LOOP:

Compare that to (in a hybrid pseudo code)...

  FOR N=1; N<X; N++
     :
     :
  END_FOR