[Info-vax] OT: "HDMI 2.0 cables"

Dirk Munk munk at home.nl
Fri Jan 23 07:44:52 EST 2015

MG wrote:
> What an incredible scam, I noticed that some places are now
> offering "HDMI 2.0" cables... while those don't even exist.
>
> How many people will be suckered into buying imaginary "HDMI
> 2.0" or "HDMI 4K cables"...?
>
> Then people talk about file sharing/piracy, that /that/ is
> supposedly killing the 'computer industry' (and what-not).
>
> If this kind of cutthroat racketeering was what DEC 'lacked'
> all these years and that's why VMS 'failed', then maybe it
> should be considered a badge of honor almost.
>
>   - MG

Actually, you might be wrong here. As you will know the data rate of
each new version of HDMI is increasing. According to Wiki there are/were
two cable qualities, Cat1 cables (tested at 74.5 MHz) and Cat2 (tested
at 340MHz). HDMI 1.4 uses a 340MHz clock rate, but HDMI 2.0 uses a
600MHz clock rate. So indeed there may be new HDMI 2.0 cables tested at
600MHz. HDMI cables are twisted pair cables.

It's just like with UTP Cat3, Cat5, Cat5e, Cat6 and Cat7.