[Info-vax] DCL's flaws (both scripting and UI)

Bill Gunshannon bill at server3.cs.scranton.edu
Fri Jan 23 07:51:21 EST 2015

In article <c75c1db8-7599-4aae-a41d-55ae10a930d2 at googlegroups.com>,
	John Reagan <xyzzy1959 at gmail.com> writes:
> On Thursday, January 22, 2015 at 4:40:49 PM UTC-5, mcle... at gmail.com wrote:
>
>> - Let the choice be a SYSGEN parameter (to set a default) and able to be defined on the fly by any process
>
> No, there is already a field in the UAF record for the CLI.  Currently, you're only supported choice is DCL.  I think (I can't check at the moment), you can even do:
>
> login: REAGAN/CLI=SOMETHING-BESIDES-DCL
> password: *******

People here didn't know this?  I'm amazed.  Even I knew it.  It used to be
used here to give people the POSIX shell as their CLI until POSIX went the
way of the dodo.

And, of course, so did VMS not too long thereafter.  But, for those who
might have wondered, no, I was not one who gave VMS users the POSIX shell
as their CLI, that was the datacenter.  I have always thought that making
VMS somehow look like Unix was just plain wrong.

bill

billg999 at cs.scranton.edu |  and a sheep voting on what's for dinner.
University of Scranton   |