[Info-vax] DCL's flaws (both scripting and UI)

JF Mezei jfmezei.spamnot at vaxination.ca
Fri Jan 23 11:52:14 EST 2015

On 15-01-23 11:27, Stephen Hoffman wrote:

>> $ pipe directory dsa1:[hoffman]
>
> Writes the guy with the US English keyboard...

 $ pipe directory dsa1:[hoffman]

Writes the guy with french canadian DEC LK201 keyboard layout. It has
both the <> (leftmost key bottom row) and ][ keys ( right of the "P"
key. When I took my course at DEC, I was told directories were delimited
by [ ] and learned it that way and it was only much later that I found
out <> could be used in some circumstances.

By that time, it was too late as  [ and ] were written in ROM portion of
my brain so I continued to use [ ].