[Info-vax] DCL's flaws (both scripting and UI)

Doug Phillips dphill46 at netscape.net
Fri Jan 23 12:15:00 EST 2015

On 1/23/2015 9:44 AM, JF Mezei wrote:
> On 15-01-23 02:30, Phillip Helbig (undress to reply) wrote:
>
>> $ pipe dir disk$user:<helbig> | sea sys$pipe login
>

> Isn't support for <directory> something that dates back fro PDP11 days
> and supported on VMS just to helop that transition ?
>
> I'd say that support for <directory>  could be deprecated and removed in
> a version or two of VMS.

I don't use <dir> myself, and my few remaining VMS sites are all on
Alpha v7.3-2 so I don't know if this has changed with v8.n, but $SEARCH
SYS$MANAGER:*.COM ":<" shows that DEC/CPQ/HPQ did use <dir> quite a lot.
So, if it's a problem with PIPE, then I say fix PIPE and don't break DCL.

One "fix" that I'd like to see is removing the *need* to define a root
like $DEFINE MYROOT DEV:[MYDIR.] for MYROOT:[SUBDIR]. But, if any ".]["
or "][." or "][" in a directory spec were parsed as a single dot we
could just use SYS$LOGIN:[SUBDIR]. What problems would that cause?

I don't think any thoughtful additions to DCL should break any code that
currently exists and as with any other new release of any language or
OS, you can't use new features on old versions that don't support those
new features.

Back in VMS v5.0 we got IF-THEN-ELSE-ENDIF and we all knew that if we
used it the .COM wouldn't work on anything older than V5.0 -- but old
DCL would still work on v5.0 -- so what's the problem with *enhancing* DCL?

I personally have nothing against GOTO but a FOR or DO-WHILE and
DO-UNTIL would be nice and there are many times I wish for a CASE or
SWITCH or MATCH construct that I could use instead of a series of IF's
and GOTO's.

I strongly agree with David Froble and others that the simple answer is
to use the right tool for the job, but DCL can be enhanced without
breaking it.