[Info-vax] DCL's flaws (both scripting and UI)

Stephen Hoffman seaohveh at hoffmanlabs.invalid
Fri Jan 23 16:27:20 EST 2015

On 2015-01-23 20:44:51 +0000, David Froble said:

> Stephen Hoffman wrote:
>
>> Or any .><, .>[, .]<, >[, ]<. etc...  Problems?  Donno.  There's
>> undoubtedly some customer code around that parses that stuff, and that
>> would trip up.
>
> Me .. Me .. Me ..  I can answer this one.
>
> There most definitely are such routines in use.

Probably best to transplant those over to sys$parse, as scheduling permits.

It'd be nice if there was an API for dealing with specifications and
common directory navigation operations[1] in a simple and consistent
fashion, and simpler to use than sys$parse or the wrappers that many of
us use around that call.

#########
[1] Locally, these are usually involving going up a directory level [-]
or more, or appending [.somedirectory] or more to the specified
directory, or fetching the base name.  Probably also something for
filenames akin to the nodename-fitting API that many folks (also) don't
tend to know about, too.