[Info-vax] DCL's flaws (both scripting and UI)

Jan-Erik Soderholm jan-erik.soderholm at telia.com
Sat Jan 24 09:30:16 EST 2015

Phillip Helbig (undress to reply) skrev den 2015-01-24 14:20:
> In article <m9t9pj$jh2$1 at news.albasani.net>, Jan-Erik Soderholm
> <jan-erik.soderholm at telia.com> writes:
>
>> Also note that european (at least swedish) keyboards has the <>
>> chars much more reachable then the []. On a US layout, the []
>> are two single keys, right? For me it is AltGr-8 and AltGr-9.
>
> Right.  You really want the North-American LK layout for VMS.

No, not realy. It is a major mess!

And besides, today you often use use whatever kaybord your
laptop come with or a connected standard keyboard. I always
selects a laptop with the separate numeric keypad.

>> So wheither one has seen the PIPE problem or not might has some
>> to so with what directory delimiters you are used to use.
>
> Normally, I don't use <> at all for directories, just [], which is
> quicker on a proper keyboard.

I usualy use <> when working interactively but try to use
[] when writing DCL scripts.

> But I do use <> rather than AltGr-X if
> forced to work on a bad keyboard.

A "bad" keyboard is one that doesn't have ÅÄÖ in the right place.

Jan-Erik.